Paul Schilter

Default Windlass stops under load

Rich,
Sounds like it goes up and down but just has no torque. I would look to
see how the drum is attached to the motor shaft. I'm not familiar with how
Simpson Lawrence does it but the might be a keyway or a spline or perhaps a
sheer pin. If the issue isn't slippage between the motor and the drum it
sounds like the motor has a problem.
Paul

"Rich" wrote in message
m...
Greetings folks,

I have a Simpson Lawrence Windlass which allows me to drop the anchor
without any issues, but it stops when retrieving the anchor line when
it meets any significant resistance (e.g. when the chain starts to
lift off the bottom of the river).

If I send it down again it rolls fine, but up there is barely movement
before it stops.

To diagnose this further and try to fix the issue, what steps should I
take? Does this sound like more like a faulty control switch, or an
issue with the motor?

Thanks for any advice and guidance,

Rich