Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Ping Larry: Sintered Bronze

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 00:14:18 +0000, Larry wrote:

Larry,
A few questions from a dummy in this area.

What diameter should I make the floating ground for the aerial (4mm ?)

I did try trailing a chain and weight on the end of a cable from the
base of the port shroud as alightning ground but the damn thing was
bumping annoyingly against the hull. My back stay is split at the
masthead - one is the aerial for SSB and the other is entire. Could I
attach a cable to that and throwm it ovewr the stern? - or would two
attached to the capshrouds give better protection? I unashamdely admit
to being terrified of being struck again - not a personal fear but one
of having to shell out all those dollars again to replace it all.

I got sick of pulling all the plugs out from the instruments when
lightning hove in the distance - in our path, so I put the 13 wires to
the radar unit for example to a 15 pin plug that just pulls apart -
other instruments likewise. N o more hiolding a colured Visio
schematic and trying to figure colours in the dark.

I should have shaved my arms before antifouling - I am still picking
it off despite cleaning up and showering.

cheers
Peter
Don W wrote in news:vMwXh.19209
:

Also, it'd sure be great if lightning grounds were
this simple... But unfortunately...

Actually, they ARE that simple. Trail two more ground cables, during the
storms, attached to the port and starboard shrouds to trail off electrons
to the sea, right where it's SO easy to attach them at the
deck/chainplates. Don't be neat...use hefty stainless winch cable,
stranded gets the best ground. Find something to stow them in at the
base of the shrouds when not in lightning storms. Great grounds are easy
in the ocean....that don't HAVE to be through a hole in that leaky hull!

Just let the cable trail back on either side in the wake. It only
matters that they are submerged, not skipping along the surface. On our
ketch, at 6 knots, skipping along the surface would be a miracle...(c;

Larry