posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz Jonathan Ganz is offline

Default My son this, my daughter that....

In article , Bob Crantz wrote:
Yes, they all do great and wonderful things under the control/tutelage of
controlling/demanding parents.

After a few years out of the nest what do they become on their own device?

Take our own CWM. The finest private schools, then on to Harvard. Where has
he ventured when he became captain of his own ship? Someone help shove him
off of the sandbar of life.

The lists of accomplishments, the awards, the schools all mean nothing. They
are simply tools. Some are given great tools but go on to mediocrity.
Others, out of nothing go on to greatness. The psychological torture must be
extreme for those who are supplied with the mightiest of tools and bouyed by
the highest of expectations and go on to find they are happiest in a
position that disappoints all those whose shoulders they stood upon.

The greatest thing a parent can do is arm their child to think for
themselves, to help them find out who and what they are and give them the
courage to pursue and be that. To have a child make up for things a parent
missed out on in life is a neurotic upbringing. The child exists to fill a
void of another person rather than to add another dimension to one's life.
How selfish and cruel!

The final paragraph of your post are some of the finest I've ever
read.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com