posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Washing Dry Suit Seals: Rinse?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

(to extend seal life by getting rid of sunscreen & body oils)

Petroleum oils will weaken latex. Body oils will not. If the sunscreen
does not contain petroleum oils, it is less of a risk than one that
does. What oils are in the sunscreen might be a problem as will other
chemicals, but without knowledge of those substances, it's just a guess
as to what will happen.

I use several water-sport-oriented sunscreens, mostly Coppertone Sport
(SPF30) and have had no problems with latex seals on drysuit or tops.
Ingredients are not listed on mine, though I think the stuff sold in the
US requires ingredients listed by law.

Washing off any grunge that might absorb and hold an oil (say, from
paddling near a slick in a motor boat area) would be a good idea. I'd
limit it to a very gentle soap and not a strong soap or a detergent.

Mike