Gordon Wedman Gordon Wedman is offline

Default So how do you start a Dickinson Newport cabin heater?

wrote in message

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message

"ray lunder" wrote in message
I mentioned mine doesn't burn above the burner ring until it's on the
four setting and Dickinson said that was wrong. It should vaporize on
one, which is where most people have it set. 5 usually drives people
out of a 40 foot boat so something is haywire here.

Well I took mine completely apart, cleaned out every air supply hole and
I also did the fuel rate calibration thing to check on the operation of
the carburetor. I'm sure it would not burn well on a 1 setting.

You mentioned that when its set at 5 it usually drives people out of your
boat.
I am about to install a heater for my next boat. Correct me if I am wrong
but I think that this type of heater has the heat to go up the cabin and
nothing below your belt. I would benefit from your comments.

Well, warm air does rise. Its not really anything particular about this
heater. It kept my 37 foot boat quite warm when it was -10C outside and I
do not believe I used a fan. I was planning on installing a couple of
computer type box fans on a board and mounting this beside the chimney to
blow air across it. The chimney gets hotter than any other part of the
stove and blowing air across it will retrieve some of the heat.
I considered the propane version but my research suggested it would use
quite a bit of fuel. Very convenient though.
My primary heat is a 1500 watt oil filled radiator type heater, about $90 at
Canadian Tire. Maintains the boat roughly 10C above the outside
temperature. Only used the Dickinson when it got real cold. Sweaters are
simpler.