posted to aus.electronics,rec.boats.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Adjustable voltage regulator for car alternator

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 15:38:59 +1000, "marcus" put finger
to keyboard and composed:

What I want to do is charge a bank of solar batteries at up to a C20 rate
(about 40A in my case), with a 24V alternator driven by a 3- 6HP stationary
engine, with an adjustable regulator circuit that will provide up to 30VDC
and taper the charge as the batteries fill.

Great booklet about alternators :
http://www.1stconnect.com/anozira/Si...alternator.htm

cheers all,

Marcus in Oz @ 28.4VDC (Sunny day!)

Can you relax your requirement to just a current limited 40A, 28.4VDC
constant voltage regulator? If so, then the required circuit would be
extremely simple, ie a 40A 600mV current shunt, 3 or 4 transistors, a
few diodes and a few resistors. The current limiting circuit (one
shunt and one transistor) would ensure that the current never exceeded
40A, even at low states of charge.

Temperature compensation could also be provided by a string of 1N4148
diodes.

If you are happy with this, then I will draw up a circuit for you.

- Franc Zabkar