Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Replacing Volvo Penta 2002 diesel?

On 2007-04-23 13:54:02 -0400, Mika said:

Have an old year 1988 18hp Volvo Penta 2002 diesel and S120 saildrive,
and think about replacing it with a new fresh water cooled engine.
Donīt need any more horsepowers, as we sail do bother to tack
Understand similar or slightly smaller new engine would be pysically
smaller, and maybe we could have more room around the engine and that
means easier access for maintenance.

Any recomendations? Anything that would fit to 2002īs engine bed and
sialdrive with as little modifications as possible? Anyone out there
who has replaced his/her VP 2002 ?

Having repowered, I'd recommend the same engine, possibly already
switched to fresh water. Switching manufacturers can be a royal PITA.
At a minimum, there are likely to be issues with the bed and prop (from
gearing changes), not to mention the co$t.

If the Volvo's still strong, which I expect, I would look into adding
the fresh water cooling, maybe. More likely, I'd do proper maintenance
and run it until it needs replacement or a rebuild. There may be better
options by then.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD