posted to aus.electronics,rec.boats.electronics,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc
John Popelish John Popelish is offline

Default Adjustable voltage regulator for car alternator

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
John Popelish wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
John Popelish wrote:
What does this failure tell us about the PIV rating of the
trio? Not much, I think. You don't know that thew trio
failed from excessive voltage. Could have been a bond
failure that overheated one of them.

All three diodes were open.

So what do you conclude caused this failure, if anything?

I have no idea. All I found was four lugs and burnt plastic ash.
There was nothing left to do failure analysis on.

I would suspect an intermittent short between the rectifier
output and ground. But, I guess, if a high enough voltage
transient occurred, it could have shorted a rectifier and
then that short blew the other two. Of a diode bond failed
enough to overheat one die, causing the same cascade.

But do you agree with my analysis of the normal voltage
applied to these diodes? You clipped it without comment.