BrianH BrianH is offline

Default Am I going to hate Garmin more than Micro$oft?

Roger Long wrote:
Yes, the card reader looks just like a removable thumb drive to the
computer. You can transfer files back and forth using Windows Explorer.
Mine is a Targus TGR-CDR25 and it has got to be the most useful computer
item I ever got for ten bucks. It has slots for four different kinds of
cards.

I think Garmin puts all its copy protection encryption in the file written
to the card. All the maps go in one big file and the GPS or Map Source
program then reads the unit ID numbers included in the file and compare them
with the hardware. I'll be very surprised if you don't find that you can
make as many backups as you want for the GPS(s) you are using or make back
up files on your computer disk that can then be used to make new cards
later. I'll bet you can't view the maps on your laptop though. Please let
me know if you can.

Since the cards can be easily written to, I'll bet that the first GPS you
insert them in writes it's unit number to the card and they won't thereafter
work in other units. You probably "registered" without realizing it.
Garming is putting us through all this to keep a hot gray market in copies
from developing.
--
Roger Long

I too have had so much hassle with Garmin and BlueChart
because of their piracy paranoia that I would seriously
think twice before continuing with this brand. Having
purchased a GPSMAP 172C and the Atlantic BlueChart, plus a
data card to write the relevant Adriatic charts to that I
had paid for, I was ready to set off with my notebook PC for
my boat in Italy.

As I had a few hours to spare I idly put the CD into my
desktop and found that I had to jump through all the on-line
hoops to register and get my unlock codes - a procedure I
could never have embarked on if I had left it to when I was
on board without any internet connection.

Then, after three weeks the unit failed - no power-up. When
I was back home I tried to contact Garmin, to be put on hold
for hours. My e-mails went unanswered. Eventually, after an
incredibly frustrating series of attempts to get a response
I did manage to contact someone in the European repair
centre in the UK who told me to send the unit to them. Here
things got better, I received a new unit in short time at no
cost - other than my courier cost to them.

Then the problems began again. The data card would not read
- I had to again jump through the unlock code hoops on-line
again; now my second unit allowance is used.

I have noticeable chart errors for the northern Adriatic -
possibly these are fundamental errors in the original
Italian charts, although a friend with C-Map does not have
them. I reported them to the Garmin cartographic group -
without acknowledgement. I did note a later upgrade to my
set of charts but have no intention of having to pay for it,
which I would have to do, even if I hadn't used up the
second permitted unlock code.

No, never again Garmin.

BrianH.