Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Ping Larry: Sintered Bronze

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:01:25 -0400, Peter Hendra
wrote:

Hi Larry,
I apologise for seeking yet again to pick your brain but....

I am having a Pactor III (USB) modem installed as soon as I get my
mast back up again. The local technician who is goiung to do it and
whom I purchased the modem from tells me that I need the best earth
for data that I can get and that I should purchase a sintered bronze
earth plate. Granted, but my retired US Navy radio whizz in Malaysia,
Bob, spent a few hours getting our system tuned and earthed a few
years ago and said then that it was a good earth.

I don't mind shelling out US$200 if it will provide even a modest gain
in reception or transmission. What is your angle on this?

Given that I do buy it, where is the best place to install it, apart
from permanently below the water line?

I have a Pactor III on my boat and we did nothing special for
grounding beyond what was already there for the SSB. If your existing
SSB is working OK I would not worry about it.

What *is* important is to use lots of ferrite RF chokes on all of the
inputs and outputs to the Pactor and to the laptop computer. This
will help to prevent stray RF energy from getting into the digital
circuitry and causing problems.