druid druid is offline

Default So how do you start a Dickinson Newport cabin heater?

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 01:51:36 -0800, ray lunder wrote:

Ahoy, I bought a used Dickinson Newport cabin heater and tried it out
for the first time tonight set up on the shop floor. I can't get the
fuel to vaporize. I have the stack and hat on and the tank is about 3
feet above the heater. There's nothing coming out of the overflow
nozzle.

I have one and I really love it! It's built in good ol' Burnaby, BC. The
manual is a bit hard to understand, but pretty good. Actually it's easier
than it sounds.

First, I agree that you might have the superheater upside-down. Apart from
that, this is what's supposed to happen:

First, the flame is very slow and lazy, coming directly from the fuel.
Then the flame raises into the "body" below the ring. It will stay there
for a few minutes, then there should be brief almost-white flames above
the ring. Now, with the valve on 1 (or off) and the fan on, you probably
won't get much more than this. So, at this point turn off the fan and put
the valve on 1, and the flame should slowly change from yellow in the body
to white above the ring.

Once you've gotten there, you're basically "on". I usually run at 2,
unless it's really cold, when I turn up to 3, and maybe add some fan. By
the time you get to 4 you definitely need the fan, and we're talking WARM.

As I said, try turning the superheater over...

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org