posted to rec.boats.building
kargo kargo is offline

Default DIY books on boat repair

On Apr 18, 12:31 pm, wrote:
On Apr 16, 11:18 pm, kargo wrote:

Does anyone know of any good how to books on boat repair?
Thanks

You'll have to be more specific. Wood hull? fiberglass? Cursory
repairs or major structural?

Aluminum hulls. I don't want to be able to build a boat (yet), but
would like to be able to restore my current boat and future
purchases. I need to understand the basics of boat structure so I
don't take something out that needs to be there (like the third bench
seat in a small aluminum boat, the type that uses those bench seats
for structural support). I need to understand the characteristics of
the aluminum alloys used in boats. Is it acceptable to use a brazing
rode and propane torch, or will this weaken the metal. Will the
aluminum boats warp, how well does reriveting fix things... etc. I
guess I'd have to say somewhere in the middle. Not building from
scratch but more than cursory maintenance.