Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:06:24 +0100, Goofball_star_dot_etal
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:44:32 +0000, Larry wrote:

Vic Smith wrote in
m:

And also that the ferry had no AIS capability.

Not reading the report properly. That's a violation of international
maritime law, now. The poster should be hung!

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Ouzo_.pdf

Maybe "capability" was the wrong word.
"2.6.6 AIS
AIS is being carried by an increasing number of yachts, partly to
assist in their being more visible. Had Ouzo carried AIS it would have
made no difference to the outcome as AIS information was not displayed
on the radar of Pride of Bilbao. This situation should improve as AIS
is being integrated into more ships’ systems in the future."

So what am I missing? And who is guilty?
If it's me I choose being keel-hauled - under a canoe, in Key West.

--Vic