posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:52:49 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

If the sheets are run through a smart gripping device, that device
would let loose when a hull leaves the water.

I have always regarded my hand and brain as a "smart gripping device"
but I can tell you from personal experience that they are not always
smart (or quick) enough. There is a certain momentum to a lifted gust
that will just have its way with you once in awhile.

If nothing else the friction and leverage of a multipart mainsheet
tackle will do you in.