posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:31:49 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Vic Smith wrote, On 4/16/2007 7:44 PM:

Sounds right, though I've read a strong beam wind also pushes the cat
sideways. I guess that depends on the hulls resistance to the water
due to load and draft and how strong a wind overcomes that.
Has anybody considered an automatic sheet releasing mechanism
for catamarans? Any heel that would lift a hull would release the
sheets. Wouldn't have to be complicated.

My old boat was a Nonsuch. The unstayed mast was flexible, so when a
gust hit, the tip flexed off and shed the force.

I may be wrong, but I think that some cats are designed with rigging
sized to fail before pulling the boat over. (Or maybe that was just a
hare-brained scheme I heard here ...)

You would think that if a urinal can be taught to know when you're
****ing, then a cat can be taught to know when it's flipping.
If the sheets are run through a smart gripping device, that device
would let loose when a hull leaves the water.
Maybe some sort of sensor or float in each hull.
The heel idea with a simple mechanical level sensing device
might not work because even cats can roll heavily.
Anyway, sounds like another maintenance item, and maybe not
worth having if it reduces solid seaman-like attention.
They say anti-lock brakes just make people tail-gate more.
Beats me.

--Vic

--Vic