posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:30:16 -0400, Jeff wrote:

* Vic Smith wrote, On 4/16/2007 7:04 PM:
Sorting out the real facts is what's important, and then adjusting to
those facts. Knowing what really caused this catamaran to go upside
down would be a useful fact.

Would it really be useful? Are you looking for a boat to 400 mile
passages, with no alternate refuge along the way? I'm not sure how
this info would help you decide between a Gemini 105 and a Mac 26M.

The Mac 26M was for Neal. But there are real issues to think about
when deciding between a mono and multi.
Catamarans are expensive. Aside from all other considerations, taking
a big financial hit because a boat was totaled instead of knocked down
makes a difference. If it's found this capt'n did something stupid
that makes a difference. If he had a drogue out and did everything
right but flipped that makes a difference.
I've seriously considered cats and have so far not shied away from the
turtle aspect because I've thought due diligence can prevent that.
Squall lines are common and some not so easily detected before they
hit, especially at night.
If this guy was duly diligent and still flipped, I probably won't
consider a cat, and Wilbur is right. If he screwed up, that's a
different story.

--Vic