posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Sea Talk, NMEA

That my ear-device for my telephone contantly get confused and that my
f...... bluetooth keybord and mouse has to be re-installed every time I
replace the battery. I wish I'd opted for the IR version or cable ....

I btw pulled the wires for my new ST60 log and depth instruments today. 3
hours work and for the next 10 years I know they will *always* be in

contact
.... I if they were bluetooth I would have used 2 hours on 12 volt wires
anway. Great investment ...

What he said. Unless there's already power available you're still going to
have to run wire. NMEA2000 supports powering devices from the network so
it's only one cable to pull. I've got two fuel flow sensors and a GPS
antenna off mine. Likewise, I've found the reprogramming madness of
bluetooth devices to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd hate to imagine
the hassles of reprogramming something at sea, under bad conditions, trying
to find the batteries and the manual. No thanks. Wireless has it's place
but other than for secondary displays or perhaps remote control I don't see
using it on most boats.