posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 4/16/2007 3:27 PM:

"Jeff" wrote in message

More lame excuses than Carter's got pills!

1) undersized sails to reduce the danger of capsize tells me you realize
you sail an unsafe boat. Using the engine more is a necessity with
undersized sails unless you enjoy sitting and wallowing in the slop.

No - I wanted the stack pack, and I don't like "deck sweeper" jibs
that restricted visibility. I wasn't trying to under size the sails,
I just had no reason to oversize them.

2) a boat that capsizes and stays upside-down in a mere 45 knot blow in
flat water is probably going to capsize in a thirty knot blow in a six
foot sea. You just don't have the benefit of a heavy keel that
self-rights a boat if it capsizes and, more importantly, keeps it from
capsizing in the first place.

Sorry, you don't seem to understand the physics here. In general, it
would actually take both a 45 knots gust AND a large wave to capsize a
cat.

3) You were impressed by a turn of speed, which turn of speed comes at
the expense of safety. In my opinion, that's a logical choice only if
you single hand and don't value your life or have relatives who depend
on you being alive. Any sane, responsible, family man would forego the
speed for safety. You selfish lust for a few more knots of speed which
is probably no longer in evidence because of how you overloaded your
boat might well cause the demise of you and your loved ones. Simply
unconscionable, Jeff.

Your comments might be worth some consideration if in fact I was in
the habit of making North Atlantic crossings in winter. But you know
well that I have never taken my family out on anything longer than a
simple overnight crossing, and severe weather does not hit without
warning.

Time to grow up and accept your responsibilities.

You're funny, Neal! You've never taken any responsibility - never
married, never had a family, never owned property. You lost your boat
so now you hide behind sock puppets. And you lecture about
"responsibility." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Sell that death trap NOW and buy something safe. May I suggest a nice
heavy displacement, safe rugged Westsail 32? One of those survived
almost unscathed the Perfect Storm even when left abandoned and washed
up on shore days later.

I have good friends that had a Westsail (and are themselves good
friends of the skipper of Satori). They loved the security of the
boat. However, the boat was too heavy for them to handle as they got
older, and they ended up powering all of the time.

And remember, in the infamous "Queen's Birthday" Typhoon several years
ago two boats ended up on the bottom - a Westsail that was abandoned
(because no one on board could handle the tiller) and another heavy
displacement monohull that was lost with all hands. The two multihulls
that were abandoned were later salvaged.