posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Wayne.B wrote, On 4/15/2007 5:25 PM:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:04:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

He'd have been home by now if he'd had a SELF RIGHTING
MONOHULL....(c;

Sounds about right to me. Those cats don't always land on their feet
although there is a lot of denial about that. :-)

I have to admit I've been one of the deniers, and the recent spate of
capsizes has been distressing. But I'm not sure why you have the
smiley - are you happy whenever there is a catamaran accident? Should
I use a smiley whenever a monohull goes to the bottom?

This is one of the very few I've heard of that was a real cruising cat
be cruised, not a racer or a delivery incident. At 35 feet its a bit
small, but since it had twin diesels it wasn't a lightweight. I'll be
curious to hear the story - My guess is that this was not a major
storm, but a case of carrying full sail when a strong squall hit.

As for self righting, there are many, many stories of monohulls being
dismasted, often with structural damage. This was certainly not the
only rescue of the season

You again show you ignorant bias. You seem to think catamaran capsizes
and monohull capsizes should happen in equal proportions. And if you
hear of more monohull capsizes that bodes well for multihulls. But, you
forget that out on the oceans where capsizes mostly occur there are
probably 100 monohulls voyaging for every multi-hull voyaging. So, I've
heard of a half-dozen multi-hull capsizing in the past year so it would
follow, that if there was equal danger of monohulls capsizing, there
would have to be 600 tales of monohulls capsizing. See how silly your
rationalizing becomes when looked at realistically?

Wilbur Hubbard