posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Video footage - USCG assists capsized catamaran in Gulf of Mexico

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Wayne.B wrote, On 4/15/2007 5:25 PM:
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:04:11 +0000, Larry wrote:

He'd have been home by now if he'd had a SELF RIGHTING
MONOHULL....(c;

Sounds about right to me. Those cats don't always land on their feet
although there is a lot of denial about that. :-)

I have to admit I've been one of the deniers, and the recent spate of
capsizes has been distressing. But I'm not sure why you have the
smiley - are you happy whenever there is a catamaran accident? Should
I use a smiley whenever a monohull goes to the bottom?

This is one of the very few I've heard of that was a real cruising cat
be cruised, not a racer or a delivery incident. At 35 feet its a bit
small, but since it had twin diesels it wasn't a lightweight. I'll be
curious to hear the story - My guess is that this was not a major
storm, but a case of carrying full sail when a strong squall hit.

I've been telling you for years about how unstable and dangerous cats
are for ocean cruising by you refuse to get your head out of your ass
and listen to me. You have this ignorant pre-concieved notion that
multis are safe and they are not. One hears capsize after capsize if one
listens. You don't listen because you don't want to hear. You don't want
to believe you have made a stupid choice of boats. You don't want to
believe you put yourself and your whole family in danger by your
ignorant choice. Here I am tryint to save your live and the lives of
your loved ones and your persist in your stupid head in the sand stance.

Wilbur Hubbard