noah

Default 1985 Merc outboard Help!

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:54:18 -0500, "Jason"
wrote:

Mercury 1985 outboard 35 HP
Bought it used.. fresh gas, plugs and fuel filter. The engine starts fine
and idles fine in the driveway.

(yes gas vent was open)

We took it out this evening wheneve we tried to give it some throttle, it
would bog out and die. It would move foward but at a slow speed. When we
played with the choke (moved it halfway) we could get the boat moving well.

Any clues as to what to look for?

Could be a couple of things, but I might start with a professional
carb cleaning. "...played with the choke.." indicates that it is
starved for fuel.

...could be clogged pickup in the fuel tank, or collapsed bulb in the
line. Did you try "pumping up" the fuel bulb while underway?

If it's a pickup or bulb problem, that's cheaper to fix than a carb
cleaning.
noah

Courtesy of Lee Yeaton,
See the boats of rec.boats