Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On 2007-04-15 11:00:22 -0400, Larry said:

LED marker lights my ass. Everyone should have a very high intensity
strobe on top of each mast they can turn on to wake their lazy asses up
on those big bridges....coupled to some serious whooping audio horns
wouldn't hurt, either.

No boat lighting is anywhere NEAR bright enough. I wonder if Ouzo had a
high intensity search light available. I've played 2,000,000 cp across a
few bridges to get their attention when they won't answer the damned
radio calls. There should be a handheld quartz-iodine searchlight in
every cockpit, even in the daytime. You can't help but notice them for
10 miles shined in your face!

I mostly agree, but see a place for LED as the usual lights, mostly
because they work in the usual world: They're as bright as the
incadescents, blow out less often (!), and draw little enough that I'll
be putting on brighter lights than required for our size.

Still, having a monster strobe at the top of the mast sounds useful for
*emergency* signalling, along with the super-bright spotlight that is
out of the weather, but can be pulled out and plugged in without
leaving the cockpit. The horn and flares are in that same bin.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD