Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Yacht sunk by Ferry

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 13:19:13 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Larry wrote:
Molesworth wrote in news:ukmole-
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/6547267.stm

Full AIS transponders.....the sooner, the better for everyone.

Bull. The commercial boats don't mind knocking a few of us over. To
them, we're sea trash.

That has not been my general experience, especially in the open ocean.
I have had large container ships slow down from their 26 knots and
wanting to chat on the VHF. Often they ask if there is anything you
need and we have had offers of fuel, water, fresh vegetables etc. We
find the Chinese ones to be the best in this regard. Quite a few
Captains are also boatees.

Once, when anchored in the Brisbane river near a ferry wharf, my wife
spent most of the day at the top of the mast (Yep, and she dives over
the side to clear the prop too - women have more natural subcutaneous
adipose tissue (fat) and therefore do not feel the cold as much as a
man). The fast river cat commuter ferries all took a wide detour at
slow speed to the other side of the river. I found later that they
radioed each other that there was " a woman up the mast and to take
care" I wonder if they would have if it were me up there.

cheers
Peter