PrefersOffshore PrefersOffshore is offline

Default Jim Manzari - Cruisers Snared in Australia

Well. So it goes.

Thanks, Peter and several others, for some help in understanding the
customs situation in Australia. It sounds as though several ports
have some overzealous agents who remain a bit 'unchecked' under the
current system, and that it extends further up the chain,
relentlessly, once the swords have been drawn. Asking forgiveness and
being ever so humble is important in such matters. Especially when
dealing with diligent and serious people who so proudly, yet
stoically, hammer their rubber stamps of authorization upon one's
passports and ship's papers. I've never hesitated to show respect for
these government employees' authority or to stroke their egos a bit.
But, who really could know if this matter may have been handled
differently. Three elderly cruising couples clearly represent no
threat to anyone.

A recent 'cruiser's notes' in the March issue of Latitude38.com was
mute regarding a cruiser who arrived Australia this winter in the same
port as Manzari landed. No mention of difficulties at all, although
inbound weather problems caused delays which may have foiled their 7
to 10 day notice of arrival, if given when departing their last port
of call. Whatever.

Terrorism and the froth it tends to whip up within these brass-
knuckled newsgroups aside . . . .

.. . . it's unfortunate a couple of harmless innocents like the
Manzaris have been forced to expend time and money so needlessly.
Having met them in Switzerland eight years ago, we found them to be
fine and capable people who intend to cruise until they become too
infirm to continue. I suppose all this could be considered yet
another pitfall that most anyone could fall into. Sometimes your
number just comes up.