posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
mlkress mlkress is offline

Default Sea Talk, NMEA

This past winter I thought it would be a great time to upgrade my
dated sailing instruments. I spent many hours researching all the
vendors, and in the end I went with Raymarine. I was so impressed
with the ease of self installation and setup, that I ordered a new
C80, GPS, and Wheel pilot the same night. My "old" (2006) GPS unit is
still in perfect working condition, and I am using it as a backup
now. I was worried about the Seatalk standard at the start, however,
I am a absolutley impressed with the whole system. With the C80, and
the autopilot the both offer NMEA out which will broadcast many of the
Seatalk (not all) sentences to other on board equipment. Although the
instuments cost a bit more than others up front you are getting a well
engineered product, that you should not have to fuss with.

Mike