Harry Krause

Default Ronald Reagan

NOYB wrote:
"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:46:02 +0000, NOYB wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message

LOL, everyone knows the best pizza is in New York City.

Agreed. Connecticut? LOL. That *is* pretty funny, Harry.

Not all of Connecticut, but New Haven is known for good pizza. Florida,
on the other hand, is a nice state with great fishing, but I've never had
a decent pizza there, or decent bread, for that matter. I'm thinking it
must be the water.

It is the water. I lived in NJ for 17 years, and they had good pizza.
There are several "NY style" pizzerias where the owners are ex-New Yorkers
or ex-New Jerseyites. The sauce is great, the cheese is great...but the
crust just doesn't have it. Same thing with the bagels down here.

You cannot easily buy any sort of good bread that is made in
Florida. Even the Cuban bread is mushy. Miami is best, because of all
the NY Jews who live in the area and demand decent bread, but even
there, if it is local, it is second rate.

I grew up in New Haven with several of the Lender boys, whose dads made
great bagels in a bad part of town and sold them to supermarkets all
over New England. When they sold out to Kraft, the quality went down, of
course. But the Lenders opened a bagel shop near my father's boat store,
and served the originals.

A special treat at Thanksgiving was stuffing made from bagel crumbs.
Special, because the quantity of crumbs was limited and it was first
come, first served. You had to show up at Lender's original bagel bakery
to buy a bag of it.

BTW, New Haven is indeed the center of quality pizza in this country. If
you haven't stopped at Pepe's on Wooster Street, you haven't had the
real deal. And the Italian bakery a few doors away has the best cannolis
on the face of the earth.

From the early 1900s, New Haven was blessed with one huge wave of
immigrants after another, and until about the 1970s, was a fabulous
place to live if you liked different cultures and foods.