Marty S.

Default Question for you electronics wizards...>>>

I'm not sure about your answer, Daytripper. I don't have either battery
connected to ground as far as I know. The + terminal of one battery goes to
the motor, and the - terminal of the other battery goes to the motor, and
the other terminals are connected to each other so the battery is connected
in series.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"daytripper" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:17:33 -0400, "Marty S." wrote:

I'm running 2 12-volt batteries running in series to power my 24-volt
electric motor in my jon boat (on an electric-only reservoir) and I want

run a fish finder. Here's my question -- can I safely run the fish

finder
off of one of the 2 12-volt batteries while running the 24-volt motor?

Or,
is that going to burn up the fish finder? Should I just invest in a

couple
of 6-volt lantern batteries instead?

One of the batteries is referenced to GROUND, the other is not.

If you connect your fish finder across the battery that is referenced to
GROUND, you should be fine. If you make the mistake of connecting across

the
*other* battery, what the fish finder "thinks" is GROUND will actually be

12
volts *above* GROUND, which sooner or later will be revealed to be A Bad
Thing...

/daytripper