posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
claus claus is offline

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

"the_bmac" wrote in message
claus wrote:

Denny - I am running XP (SP2) on my laptop used for navigation purposes
onboard the boat.

I just downloaded the fix for the animated cursor flaw yesterday and was
not aware that it allowed MS to install the "Call Home" function... so I
need to get rid of that as my boat is not connected to the internet...
what is the proper technical name for that function - and is there any
way to disable it short of "rolling back" the software to the previous
state???

Unfortunately you cannot rollback. If you were using automatic updates
and this little POS got installed, you can't un-install it. The only
solution is to fdisk-format-reinstall, which of course leads into the same
"upgrade" hell cycle you've just completed. If you're not willing to go
Mac or Linux, you're simply going to have to starts whistling "Always Look
on the Bright Side of Life".

My maiin concern is that the operating system would stop functioning if my
PC is not connected to the internet while I am out cruising...

Or am I misunderstanding Denney's post?