posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Denny Denny is offline

Default Why I am dumping Nobeltec

On Apr 4, 9:46 am, "Keith" wrote:
Nobeltec says on their website, and in an e-mail to their registered
customers, that VNS wasn't ready to use with Vista. There are a lot of
problems with using Vista on a computer, not the least of which it
needs to contact the mothership (MS) on an ongoing basis, or it shuts
down. Not a good scenario when you're out cruising and not plugged in
all the time. My nav computer is dedicated to that, and never connects
to the internet. I can't and won't use Vista.

Interestingly, the latest fix for the animated cursor flaw required me
to allow MS to install the "call home ET" function on my XP
machines... I had been refusing that particular download for some time
but now MS refuses to download the fix if you do not give Billy
unlimited access to your machines... While all my machines have legal
copies of XP/2003 on them it is still annoying...
And I am building my retirement boat and the OS not being able to
"call home" an issue I will have to address in the near future...
There may be an Apple in my future...

denny
denny