Steven Shelikoff

Default Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question.

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 17:29:47 GMT, otnmbrd wrote:

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

It's absolutely obvious that there's unequal thrust. If not, there
wouldn't be prop walk. The question is, where does it come from? And I
still think the answer is multiple sources all contribute, some more
than others on any given boat. I just don't think the effect you're
describing here plays as much a part on my boat as it might on others
because there's more above the prop than just a column of water and then
air.

Steve

Actually, for the most part we are in agreement.
When you go back through my post on this issue, you will always note
that I am mentioning a number of factors which will enhance and detract
from propwalk (wind, current, hull form, speed, pitch, kort nozzles,
etc.) and the fact that we are not always sure what that reaction will
be, until we experience it on a particular boat under particular conditions.
However, there has to be a "root" cause .... an initial action/reaction
which starts the process.

*The* root cause is a net force sideways.

[...]
Let's now look at prop efficiency (these are MY views based on what I
see, read and feel). If we follow the rotation of a RH fixed pitch prop,
looking at it from astern starting at top dead center (ooo*) the
particular blade is pushing water to the right (and back ...always back,
but we will ignore that component for this discussion) at minimal
efficiency. this efficiency, however, is increasing as the propellor
turns towards 45* and the direction is changing to a increasingly down
direction.
As the blade reaches 45*, efficiency is close to maximum and from here
the direction is more down than to the side.
Someplace just prior to 90* the efficiency becomes maximum and as the
blade rotates toward 135* the angle of push changes to the left

You haven't explained why the prop is less efficient at 0 and gains
efficiency on it's way from 0 to 90. I can think of some reasons why
that may be correct. But the reason given having to do with a column of
water only backed by air and a bulge at the surface isn't it. That's
because the whole way from 0 to 180 degrees there is either an infinite
column of water (right a 0 and 180) or the column of water is supported
by the sea floor (everywhere else between 0 and 180)

[...]
Also, so there's no misunderstanding, remember, my feeling about props
efficiency decrease on it's upward rotation is about the prop pushing
water up and into air, losing efficiency. .... and most importantly,
these are my views/visualizations .... G yours may vary.

I realize that. It just doesn't support your discussion about what
happens to the prop efficiency from 0 to 180 degrees. All it does is
explain why the prop is less efficient on the upward part of it's trip
vs. the downward part of it's trip which creates a net upward force off
the centerline, which lifts the stern and lists the boat. It does
nothing to explain why there's a net sideways force (if there's no
overhang, which I think we've agree is the root cause of prop walk
that must be explained.

Steve