Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Interesting series of boat building photos

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 5 Apr 2007 08:47:04 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

Fortunately, the latest generations of electronically controlled
diesels don't seem to suffer from running at 1/3 throttle or so like
many of the older engines did.

I think the jury is still out on that. Virtually all modern diesels
are turbo charged, and at 1/3 throttle the turbo is not making it up
to speed or temperature. Traditionally this has resulted in
carbonization of the turbo bearings and premature failure.

When I had the Egg Harbor with turbodiesels the Cat service tech advised me
to run them at WOT for at least 10 minutes on the way back to port,
particularly after a fishing trip consisting of a lot of trolling.

Same can be said of turbodiesels in trucks. I was scolded by the Ford tech
at the dealership for not driving my F-350 "hard enough" after he finished
replacing the turbo a couple of years ago.

Eisboch