posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] jerod_kruszka@hotmail.com is offline

Default 1942 Chris Craft fiberglass bottom

After years of reading, talking and going to calssic boat shows, my
brother-in-law and I are looking to purchase a classic Chris Craft to
restore for use at our cabin in northern Wisconsin.

We have found a 1942 Chris Craft Rocket that has peaked our interest.
The only problem we see with it is the fact that its bottom has been
fiberglassed over. We've done alot of research and reading and we
both want to remove the fiberglass bottom.

Our question is this... how hard is it to remove the fiberglass from
the bottom of one of these boats? Is it a huge problem or just a
minor setback in our quest to rebuld the bottom of the boat? How much
work is in volved in removing the fiberglass (the boat is only a
16'er). We were going to keep it (the fiberglass bottom), but we
didn't want to deem the fiberglass bottom to be solid and restore the
rest of the boat only to learn later on that the bottom is junk and
needs to be replaced anyway.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on what to
look for/try when rebuilding the bottom would also be appreciated.

Thanks.