Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Q: Liability Insurance for Bareboaters?

On 3 Apr 2007 09:20:19 -0700, "Bryan" wrote:

When bareboating as the hosts/captain, how do we cover ourselves
in case one of our guests accidentally gets injured?

Here are a couple possible answers, and my conclusions to each:
1) You're covered by your charter company.
Conclusion: Not with Moorings. They make you sign something
excluding them from responsibility.

2) You're covered by your homeowner's / umbrella policy.
Conclusion: Not with ours and several others we've reviewed. There
is a specific exclusion for any boat 26' in length or 50HP.

I don't believe we are the first bareboat charterers to consider this
issue, but so far, we've had no luck with anyone we've called. All
insurance agents say "wow, that's a really good question", but they
have no answers. BOAT/US only insures your own boat. There's a
service in Australia that offers exactly this coverage (for "hirers"),
but only in that country.

Here's a suggestion or two, not entirely sure if it's really the right
solution but it might work:

1. Jointly sign the charter agreement with the other couple so that
neither of you are "guests", and/or have your lawyer draft up a "hold
harmless" agreement and have the other couple sign.

2. Hire a captain along with the boat.