Bryan Bryan is offline

Default Q: Liability Insurance for Bareboaters?

Chuck,

Thanks for the response.

Are you referring to homeowners/umbrella as if it were as single
policy?

No, sorry, they are separate. But both specifically exclude any
activities on a boat 26' or greater in length.

It might well be true that the liability portion of most homeowner's
insurance policies won't cover a bareboat charter, but unless things
have become far more restricted in the years since we first bought a
general liability umbrella policy you should be insurable for almost
any legal activity.

I guess things have indeed changed. There are now pages of activities
that are excluded on our policy, and the other policies that we've
reviewed. Agents seem to agree that the underwriters generally don't
like any risky activities. We asked "so basically, homeowner's and
umbrella insurance are fine as long as you don't step out your front
door, right?" She laughed, but essentially agreed.

I do know that we pay a (very slight) surcharge on
our GL umbrella because we own and operate a boat of moderate size.

Our problem is that we don't own a boat. We're just bareboaters...

At the very least, you ought to be able to purchase a "rider".

I agree in priciple, but we haven't found this from any of the agents
we've asked.

You can insure almost any legal activity- it's only a question of
cost. :-)

If anyone has found a company that has done this for them, please let
me know...

Thanks,
Bryan