Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Size of seas and size of boat

On 2007-04-01 10:37:46 -0400, "John Reimer"
said:

Is there a general rule of thumb on what size of seas become inherently
unsafe for a particular size of boat?

Not really, if you're only considering wave size. I've been in 6-8'
waves over 8' swells and it was a fun romp. I've also encountered 3'
waves that convinced me to slink back into the anchorage, tail between
my legs.

What are the other conditions, depth of water, winds? Are you sailing,
motoring, hove to, on a sea anchor or anchored to the bottom?

I expect you're thinking about a storm at sea. While any storm makes me
uncomfortable --I hate to spill drinks-- and I do everything in my
power to stay away from them, I'd wouldn't be unduly alarmed to find
myself in one if I were well away from any shore, was on a series
drogue sea anchor, and had time to strip the exterior and unship our
rudder and put it below.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD