posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default WiFi Success

On 1 Apr 2007 08:32:21 -0700, wrote:

Power run through 14ga. tinned, multi-stranded wire enclosed in a
thick and resliant cover and called "marine grade duplex" is many
orders of magnitude more chafe, UV, corrosion, and voltage drop
resistant than even the best marine grade ethernet cable.

I think we'd all agree with that although 14 ga is way overkill.

That said, I do have ethernet up my mast, but if it fails and I am not
planning on dropping my stick soon, I'll revert to repeater mode.
Multiple redundancy is good seamanship.... even if WiFi is a non-
mission-critical extravagance

All well and good but does it leave you with the option of
reconfiguring your bridge to a new SSID, or sign on to a WiFi proxy
site? In other words, can you still communicate over the repeater
link to the bridge if no shore connection to an AP exists?