posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] dbraun@omnipost.com is offline

Default WiFi Success

On Apr 1, 12:13 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On 31 Mar 2007 19:47:22 -0700, wrote:

The one aspect of this that I like is that avoids the need for
ethernet up the mast.

You've got to get power up there some how.

Power run through 14ga. tinned, multi-stranded wire enclosed in a
thick and resliant cover and called "marine grade duplex" is many
orders of magnitude more chafe, UV, corrosion, and voltage drop
resistant than even the best marine grade ethernet cable.

That said, I do have ethernet up my mast, but if it fails and I am not
planning on dropping my stick soon, I'll revert to repeater mode.
Multiple redundancy is good seamanship.... even if WiFi is a non-
mission-critical extravagance

David Braun
S/V Nauisicaa