posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Standards

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:26:47 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Thanks. That's a good link. It proves my point. It says:
"For that same reason, American builders have been slow to encourage the
use of classifications because buyers aren't familiar with them and,
almost to a man, they all claim to build better boats than required by
the societies. Whether that is true or not is just as debatable as
whether a buyer would want a boat built to society standards. One
well-known builder noted that it is impossible to build the high-speed
motoryachts, now so popular, to classification because of the sacrifices
necessary to keep the weight to a minimum. The societies, on the other
hand, point out that they have been classing high-speed patrol craft and
other speed-oriented vessels for many years, and suggest that the
builder is probably cutting many corners in search of an extra knot or
two."

Cutting many corners in search for an extra knot or two? Sound familiar?
Sounds like it describes a MacGregor 26.

Maybe, but
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._61555439/pg_3
"Even though ABS's customer base is primarily big shipping, its rules
on scantlings, the dimensions of a boat's structural members, are
sometimes referenced by manufacturers of recreational vessels. Private
mega-yachts are usually built to ABS rules, which are all but unheard
of for the average pleasure boat."

Neither the Mac or Coronado can be classified as a mega-yacht.
Here's a link pointing to the ABS standards guidebooks.
http://www.eagle.org/rules/intro.html
If you'll tell me which book I need to verify standards for a boat
such as a Mac 26 or a Coronado 27 I'll buy it and take it down to the
boat builder to see if he is up to snuff.
Without your help, I'll have to rely on the experience of people who
actually own the boat.

--Vic