posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default Standards

wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

wrote in message
First one has to define exactly what is quality. How do we measure
it.

One measures it by accepted practices that have a history of working.
That's what Lloyds standards in boatbuilding are all about. Tried and
true. Lloyds standards mean a quality boat. Building a boat to no
accepted measure of standards gets you a very inexpensive boat but
you are trading safety and seaworthiness for a cheap price. If you
don't have any reasonable standards yourself this will be acceptable
to you but if you have high standards it will to entirely
unacceptable. It's really very simple.

Oh, speaking of standards, it's standard practice to reply to a post
at the bottom, not the top. See, one little clue and I know you have
low standards. You probably sail a MacGregor 26...

Wilbur Hubbard

Your definition of Quality is not explicit and you do not have any
means of measuring it.
Your understanding is vague and speculative.
Therefore I can only conclude that you do not know what is quality.
Nor will you be able to understand the meaning of building standards
let alone the Mil Specs, history dockets and inspection and test plan.
If you were to build a sailboat how much budget will you allocate for
standards, quality programs and control.

I fail to see your logic. I don't have to know the ins and outs of
quality myself as I don't build boats myself. All I have to know is
there exists certain boat building quality standards among which are
Lloyds and ABS. These organizations certify boat building according to
their established tried-and-true building methods and inspect for
compliance as the boat is being built.

We're talking yachts here not military ships so military specs. and
irrelevant.

As for budget requirements to build a boat to Lloyds specifications I
believe the article posted above mentioned it might be up to 10% more
for the inspection process alone. Of course, quality materials and
proper scantlings necessarily add more to the cost than some cheap,
fly-by-night outfit like MacGregor who just builds to the "sell a boat
cheaper than anybody else can" standards.

Wilbur Hubbard