posted to rec.boats.paddle
[email protected] JeffOYB@hotmail.com is offline

Default Rolling a sea-kayak with HIGH rear deck?

John Fereira wrote:
wrote in news:1175259291.833257.163650
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the tips!

I've been looking at some of these online roll-vid's and info. I can't
quite follow all the text how-to yet, with the terms. The vid's help.

I'm a bit concerned that examples use whitewater boats. My boat has a
round hull and high sides, too.

What kind of boat are you talking about.

I detailed the boat in the first post but maybe folks aren't familiar
with it. It's a narrow, round hull racing sea kayak---patterened after
a Seda Glider. 19 feet long, like about 20" wide. Totally round hull.

[ ]
A C-C will be easier to learn than a front deck roll. Start first by using
someone elses boat or the side of a pool to practice a hip snap, that is,
learn how to rotate the boat under you before you bring your head out of the
water.

I can do that already to a strong extent but my whole show hasn't come
together yet. I think it partly relates to having such high sides and
rear and a hull that doesn't "flop" back upright.

I think I've been using the C-C. I'll keep trying---dryland
especially.

--JP