posted to rec.boats.paddle
John Fereira John Fereira is offline

Default Rolling a sea-kayak with HIGH rear deck?

wrote in news:1175259291.833257.163650
@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the tips!

I've been looking at some of these online roll-vid's and info. I can't
quite follow all the text how-to yet, with the terms. The vid's help.

I'm a bit concerned that examples use whitewater boats. My boat has a
round hull and high sides, too.

What kind of boat are you talking about. Some whitewater boats can be more
forgiving of poor technique but with the right technique you should be able
to learn to roll your boat. You'll often see rolling videos in ww boats
because their easier to get into a small pool where rolling "pool sessions"
often take place. You should be more concerned that those demonstrating the
rolls already know how to roll and can get away with marginal technique
because they can quickly compensate and produce a successful roll. In the
hybrid videos they briefly mention a "sweep to C" but the examples don't
really demonstrate it well. I find that a "sweep to C" roll works well if
when rolling a boat with a high rear deck.

I do have best luck with the "take head out of water last" idea. I'll
just keep trying to put all the basics together. And I'll study C-C
more and study front deck roll, too.

A C-C will be easier to learn than a front deck roll. Start first by using
someone elses boat or the side of a pool to practice a hip snap, that is,
learn how to rotate the boat under you before you bring your head out of the
water.