posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom Brian Nystrom is offline

Default Rolling a sea-kayak with HIGH rear deck?

Al K wrote:
unclefuzzy wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:24 pm, wrote:
I have a woodstrip racing sea kayak patterned after the Seda Glider.
It has a really high back deck (cockpit combing). I can't lean back
hardly at all in it. I've been trying to learn how to roll it. So far,
so shaky. I wish I could get my C of G lower as my torso comes out of
the water but due to the rear deck my CoG is working against me at its
max leverage. Rats. Is there another kind of roll out there that might
be EASY with a high rear deck? Any links to pics, info? Maybe I could
somehow reverse my sweep and tuck back forward as I come up? Thanks! --
JP outyourbackdoor.com

It might be worthwhile checking out the videos at
http://www.exchile.com/KayakSchoolRollIdentifier.htm.

Hi Unclefuzy,

Great videos by Chris Spelius showing all types of rolls including
C-to-C which can be done in a high rear deck or seat, which many sea
kayaks have. Thanks for link.

Although I'm not a fan of the C-to-C roll, in this case, it's probably
your best bet. The keys to it are the timing of the hip snap and making
sure that your head comes up last.