posted to rec.boats.building
jim.isbell jim.isbell is offline

Default Wee Lassie Canoe

On Mar 30, 5:44 am, Brian Nystrom wrote:
jim.isbell wrote:
I just acquired a new project. A partially done Wee Lassie Canoe
13'6". I got the book with it. The price was right, FREE. So I took
it.

I am now wondering if there are any things that I should know that
have come out since the printing of the book in 1995?

There are quite a few interpretations of the basic design on the market
currently, but since the boat is already started, you're probably best
to stick with the instructions that came with it.

Can this boat be built outside without cover, or do I need to protect
it from the weather while I am building it?

At the risk of sounding harsh, it's wood, what do you think?

That wasn't a risk.....I never judge an answer to an honest question
as any more than an honest answer.

But, at the risk of sounding like a smart ass...#8-) .... which BTW, I
am.......my deck and my pole barn are both untreated wood and they
have been out in the weather for years. Also I built a 32 foot sloop
from wood and for the 8 years it took to be finished it sat in the
open. BUT...in this case I think you are right because this wood is
very light and there can be NO warpage if its to fit properly.

SO...I have moved it onto the porch under a roof until I finish it.

The design is the Wee Lassie 2, the 13'6" version. And as you say,
the first four strips have already been laid so its onward into the
fog, no changing design now.

I noticed that on one end the strips have a slight concave curve to
them at frame #5 and I don't think that is correct so I will check the
measurements on that frame before I continue. If the measurements
prove to be faulty, I may remove the nails in that frame as I go so
that the strips can form a natural curve rather than being pulled in
on the frame.

I also noticed that he apparently made a mistake in cutting frame #1
as it has been built up with 4 laminations to make it larger by about
3/8" so that might indicate that he also made a mistake on the size
OR placement of frame #5.

In any case, before I proceed I will check ALL the measurements.