otnmbrd

Default Angle of prop shaft - theoretical question.

Steven Shelikoff wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 02:45:24 GMT, otnmbrd wrote:

Steven Shelikoff wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:00:18 GMT, otnmbrd wrote:

This is one of those explanations which I feel may have an effect on
propwalk amount, but is not the "root" cause of propwalk.
Reason ... you get propwalk ahead and astern. When going ahead, the wash
does not push against the hull.

I don't think there is a "root" cause of prop walk. It's just a sum of
many factors, some of which even counteract eachother which is why you
can't be sure of the direction of prop walk just by which way the prop
turns.

G I disagree. My feeling is rotation in a water medium is the root
cause.

Um, yeah. That's kind of obvious. Not really an explanation of why
rotation in a water medium causes prop walk though. It's sort of the
same thing as saying the root cause of prop walk is a different amount
of force pushing the stern left vs. right. You'd be correct, but it
doesn't really tell you anything you don't already know.

Steve

BG see my other response .... no way I could write that again.

otn