posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] gbooth@rockisland.com is offline

Default Cap'n Navigator and NOAA download question(s)

I can't reply to all your queries, but I'll take a crack at those
I can. Unfortunately, my laptop with Capn is at the boat, so
I'll have to guess at a few of these.

Its pretty ease to download NOAA charts. Raster charts, which I
prefer, take more space on your harddrive, but have a lot more
shoreside detail. I find it very helpful for landmark ID. The
ENC charts are vector based and I've found them very sparse for
detail.

I thought Capn had a feature to look for charts on your
harddrive, no?

My apologies if this shows up more than once - I'm forced to use
a web-
based posting medium and I got the message that the server
wasn't up to it at the moment and to try again...

I have the Cap'n aboard - and am still trying to get to know
enough to be dangerous.

With our recent decision to go up the East coast before setting
out on our Caribbean odyssey, we set about acquiring the
appropriate charts, including replacing the umpteen we'd given
away as not needed when we first decided to do the Caribbean and
not come back any further north than St. Thomas once we got that
far :{/)

A visit to the Seven Seas Cruising Association offices when I
had to be in Ft. Lauderdale last week provided nearly 60 paper
charts and kits. A visit to the NOAA website provided 153
electronic raster charts.

The NOAA charts come in what appears to be a couple of formats -
a .bsb which seems to be an index of the parts for a chart, and
others (.kap) which have from one to many parts.

When I did the download for FL and the other areas which we
thought we needed (many months ago), I *thought* I had succeeded
in making them part of the Captain's inventory. However,
attempting to see these (electronic) charts I'd just gotten
duplicated on paper on the Captain failed. Apparently, I've
stored them in a place which the Captain doesn't like (even
though I updated the path), or he can't read them, or they've
got some association attached to them which is improper.

Can anyone tell me a couple of things? They a

What is the name of the program (something.exe, I presume) which
opens either the bsb or the other, .kap?

If the file in question has something inappropriate (previous
attempts to open the download yielded the usual windoze "do you
want to search the web for something to read this file??"
message), how do I make the association disappear in the
"view/options" section of my folder? I've currently got the
Captain Voyager Mosaic as the selected opener. Double clicking
any such file opens the Cap'n to the last chart I'd had, and not
the one I'd clicked - and searching for a specific chart in his
list doesn't have that one (or any of the others I'd
downloaded). Attempts to delete the .bsb have failed as the
"delete" button is grayed out in the "view/options" section...

Or, anything else which comes to mind if you've succeeded in
downloading NOAA charts.

And, on an entirely different tack, ENC charts are also
available from NOAA on free download. They seem from reading
the info, to be somewhat more robust, or perhaps more
feature-rich, or some other reason to have them as well. Are
ENC charts readable by the Cap'n? In my inventory ("get chart"
in the "file" tab), there appear to be some of that type from
the CDs I got when I bought the areas I was going to cruise,
initially. If ENC charts are both readable, and worth having,
how do I organize those in order to make that happen?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link:
http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery ! Follow
us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hands.

You seek problems because you need their gifts.