Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Solar Catamaran

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/29/2007 1:59 PM:

"Jeff" wrote in message
over forever.

You keep saying that, but you seem to have trouble finding cases of
them going over.

I guess you have a short memory. I recall one washing up on the beach in
California upside down will all hands missing and most likely dead. It
washed up on the beach upside down. About a month or two ago.

Yup, that's certainly one case. Although, there were a number of
interesting issues with that one, such as what were they doing out
there, and how many other people died in the same storm. One key
point is that had they stayed below they would have survived, and
anyone who might have been on deck on a monohull in the same
conditions could easily have been lost. If the EPIRB had been rigged,
they may have been rescued, since there was evidence that at least one
person was on the overturned vessel for some time.

And as I said, there have been a few such cases, but not very many.
Showing that cats have a capsize rate roughly the same as the monohull
sinking rate does not mark them as unsafe.