posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Root canal

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:54:14 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Scout" wrote in message
Get it done sooner rather than later. I suppose a post and cap is in
order. Not cheap.

My dentist said to get it done soon. I scheduled an appoint with an
ontodontist who specializes in microscopic dental surgery. Very
expensive. About 2 large.

Best check what kind of car he drives.

I could get the molar yanked but it would
leave a gap in the chewing area and the other teeth would probably start
moving into the gap and ruin my bite. I have all my teeth but many are
crowns. I'd rather pay the big bucks too keep things in line and working
properly. If it's necessary, it's necessary. I guess the orthodontist,
after he looks at it and the x-rays, will know for sure.

Yank it, and put the money saved into your boat. Dentists always
exaggerate the effect of a missing tooth. If your other teeth are
healthy you'll be dead before any bad effect shows up. You're plus
50 years old, right? Takes about 40 years for the teeth to move
to a snaggle bearing, give or take 5 years. This assumes you don't
open beer bottles with them.
I would get the root canal for myself, but I don't have a boat,
so I'm giving you advice tailored for your circumstances.
Take it or leave it if I missed something, but don't forget to check
out that orthodontist's car. I had one molar root canal go bad after
about 5 years because the guy didn't get all the nerve. After 6
months of off-and-on aches, I had to get it pulled.
He drove a Volvo.

--Vic