Default Solar Catamaran

"mandolin2k" wrote in message
oups.com...
what the heck do they do at night? LOL!

They claim they have a large battery bank for night time use. And they
claim they have enough output from the array to both charge the
batteries during the day and run the motors. The array output is only
10KW(max). The twin engines use 8KW each for a total of 16KW and if they
have to charge batteries too then it seems to we they lack sufficient
solar array for the job.

Something's fishy here.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mar 27, 10:50 pm, wrote:
Does anyone with experience in the efficiency have insight in how
well
a setup like this can work?

(Other than stating the obvious from the specs: Wilbur, 10 kW are 34
hp that would be pretty good, even 17 hp for 24 hr run time. Engine
specs would be peak power.)

I would like to know what countinous power output one could _really_
expect; with other words, were they cruising or drifting?

Thanks!

On Mar 26, 3:57 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

Good day,

what do you guys (especially the solar cell experts) think of
this
boat?

http://www.transatlantic21.org/

Chris

The specs say two motors using 8kw each for 16kw total and two 5kw
arrays producing 10kw total.

So they're producing less power than they use. Hmmmmm! I'd say they
got
problems. Probably have a diesel generator tucked in one of the
hulls.

Wilbur Hubbard