Skip Gundlach

Default Holding tank cleaning

Hi, Peggie, and group,

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
cwest wrote:
I suspect that I might have a heavy mineral build up in my holding tank.

It's possible that you have a sludge buildup, but it's not a mineral
buildup--not in the tank. Any sludge will be solids and TP that the use
of chemical tank products only allowed to dissolve into little tiny
particles that settled to the bottom instead of working WITH nature to
prevent odor while keeping the bacteria alive to emulsify (liquefy) 'em.

If it's still "mud" it can be flushed out by putting a few gallons of
water down the pumpout hose--'cuz that sends the water into the tank at
the bottom to stir it up--pump that
out...repeat...repeat...repeat...till only clean water is being pumped

out.

But if it's turned to "concrete," nothing will dissolve it that won't
also damage the tank.

Which is why it's VERY important to nominally rinse out the tank after
EVERY pumpout (sea water via a washdown hose after dumping a tank at sea
works)...and THOROUGHLY flush it out a couple of times a season. 'Cuz
left alone long enough, sludge will clog up a discharge hose and a
macerator.

I think I heard a while back that acetic acid (vinegar) works.

Nope. A cupful of white vinegar helps to prevent sea water calcium
carbonate buildup in the head discharge hose, but it won't do a thing
to dissolve sludge in a tank.

--
Peggie
----------

Leaving this in, as it's a great book - we read it cover to cover on our
shakedown, which included the requisite failure of both heads :{/) -
fortunately, one at a time :{))

Just wondering...

What about these after-market products which claim to put beneficial
bacteria into a septic system, and promise (and I've heard reports
anecdotally from acquaintances that suggest they do so) that *all* solids
are dissolved, over time?

Is that strictly an anaerobic system, or generically beneficial bugs? Heck,
if there are oil eating bugs, surely there should be sludge eating bugs
available...

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, by proxy)

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize
that you are quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to
you that in the general scheme of things you are merely an
insignificant speck on the surface of the ocean; and are not nearly
so important or as self-sufficient as you thought you were. Which is
an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one that may effect a
permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly appreciated
by your friends." - James S. Pitkin