Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default The average boat owning idiot.

On 24 Mar 2007 16:30:50 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

On Mar 23, 4:28 am, Peter Hendra wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:52:01 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
* Peter Hendra wrote, On 3/23/2007 4:03 AM:

Actually, that confirms my claim that there is no definitive spelling in
English. The preferred English is now Muhammad, but there are many
others and it is polite to follow whatever convention is used for a
personal name. However, according to the Guardian style guide some
Muslims find the traditional spelling "Mohammed" and varients to be
archaic and disrepectful.

Well, that may be so but there are a great deal of Moslems I have met
with my spelling of my name in Turkey, Egypt, Sudan, Yemen, Oman and
in Indonesia and Malaysia. This is the first I have heard of any
spelling of the name to be disrespectful

This is the first I had heard of that. I don't know if its specifically
British, or new political correctness. Of course, a newspaper style guide
is likely to be responsive to a vocal minority, so its not clear what the
meaning of "many" is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/styleguide...184829,00.html
Muhammad
Muslims consider Muhammad to be the last of God's prophets, who delivered
God's final message. They recognise Moses and Jesus as prophets also.
The above transliteration is our style for the prophet's name and for most
Muhammads living in Arab countries, though where someone's preferred
spelling is known we respect it, eg Mohamed Al Fayed, Mohamed ElBaradei.
The spelling Mohammed (or variants) is considered archaic by most British
Muslims today, and disrespectful by many of them

Yeah, like there was a Jewish boy running around the Middle East named
"Jesus." It ain't even close to being phonetically correct.

Yes KLC,
He was a Jewish boy. for his entire life, he was never a Christian.

I was always confused as a kid by the many pictures of Jesus (we refer
to him as Isus ibn Mariam - the last often is spelled with a "y").

He was usually portrayed as having blonde hair, fair skin and bright
blue eyes. His outstretched hands were never calloused like other
carpenters.

I'll bet you didn't know that he is also the Moslem Messiah.
.
cheers
Peter- Hide quoted text -

I've never heard of him as a "Moslem Messiah" as far as I know, the
Muslims, consider him a great teacher, but not the "onlybegotten Son
of God" , and deffinately not on the same level as Mohammed.

As this is not a Theology discussion group, I shan't elaborate too
much but you are confusing the three mentioned people and roles.

1 Moslems belive that Jesus was a prophet of God as was Moses, and
others.

2. When Jesus stated that he was the "Son of God", this is what any
member of the Pharisees believed - that each was a son of God. Have
you even wondered why Jesus was not brought before the Sanhedrin on
charges of blasphemy because of that statement?

3. In the Koran, it clearly states that the Prophet Mohammed said -
"there is no Mahdi (Messiah) save Isus ibn Mariam (Jesus, son of
Mary)"

I threw that to KLC but he refused to pick it up.

cheers
Peter Hendra